Building upon our inaugural event in 2015, Teledyne Marine hosted the 2nd biennial Teledyne Marine Technology Workshop on (TMTW) October 15-18 in San Diego, California. A record breaking 270 customers from around the globe converged on the sunny shores of San Diego to attend this year’s event, which included:
● TWO AMAZING KEYNOTE SPEAKERS including Oliver Steeds, Founder, Chief Executive and Mission Director of Nekton, a charitable research institute dedicated to the exploration of the deep ocean, who gave an inspired speech on new deep sea discoveries and our responsibilities as stewards of our oceans; followed by Margaret Leinen, Director of Scripps Institution of Oceanography, who presented an overview of the challenges facing our oceans, offset by some much needed good news about the progress being made globally to raise the visibility of our oceans.
● OVER FIFTY CUSTOMER PRESENTATIONS detailing their utilization of Teledyne Marine products and technologies for applications spanning offshore energy, defense, ports & harbors, oceanography, aquaculture, dredging, hydrography and hydrology.
● OVER FORTY PRODUCT AND SOFTWARE INTRODUCTIONS AND TRAINING CLASSES including several plenary sessions detailing Teledyne Marine’s joint solutions for applications spanning from the surface to the seafloor. This year’s event also included a new track dedicated to hands-on advanced Slocum glider training; and a hydrologic track, which included an afternoon of hands- on training from the USGS.
● TWELVE DOCKSIDE DEMONSTRATIONS focused on Teledyne Marine’s vehicles, sensors, and combined system capabilities, which depicted several unique scenarios, including civil engineering, port and harbor security, and multi-vehicle collaboration.
● TWO BOATS RUNNING TWENTY-FOUR ON-WATER DEMONSTRATIONS of our collective imaging technology, including several of RESONs multibeams and Oceanscience underway rapidCAST system.
● FOURTEEN INDUSTRY PARTNERS AND SUPPLIERS sharing their relevant products and services as official TMTW event exhibitor / sponsors, thus further expanding the technical content available for TMTW attendees to discover.
● ONE FAST-PACED 5K with 50 runners hitting the sidewalk at dawn for a little friendly competition. Steve O’Brien from the USGS had a large pack in hot pursuit as he rounded the corner in just over 18 minutes.
● FOUR SUNDAY NETWORKING EVENTS including surfing, paddle boarding, an electric bike tour, and a brewery tour. Nearly 40 TMTW attendees took advantage of this unique opportunity to connect with Teledyne staff members and new and old acquaintances in this relaxed setting.
● SIXTY-FIVE GLOBAL TELEDYNE MARINE REPRESENTATIVES were on site to meet with nearly 100 Teledyne staff members that cycled through, to network with their peers, and to learn more about Teledyne Marine’s expanding product lines, which they will bring back to their global customers.
Mike Read, president of Teledyne Marine recaps:
”Building upon our inaugural 2015 TMTW event, we had high hopes for the success of this year’s workshop, and I am pleased to report that we actually exceeded those
expectations. Feedback from our attendees was amazing, and confirms that these types of events are valued, and in fact needed, to bring our community together. TMTW
is a focused way for us to share our technology with our global customers, while gaining critical insight into how, where, and why our products are being used around the
globe. In addition to the valuable content presented at this event, TMTW also provides us with a unique opportunity to really listen to what our industry and customers
need today – and tomorrow.”
But don’t take it from us, based on initial results from our attendee survey, we can report:
● 99% of respondents rated the event as good or excellent
● Nearly 100% of respondents agreed that the fee to attend was worth the value they derived
● Over 95% said they would recommend this event to a colleague
A sample of our attendee comments include:
“Great opportunity to meet with customers, users, and colleagues alike. The business done here is very worthwhile.”
“Overall excellent event. Others could learn from this on how to offer a well-rounded and informative show.”
“The level of expertise from the participants gave the users’ conference a very focused and valued result. This coupled with the expertise of the Teledyne staff on hand
made for a great combination.”
“It was extremely well done. It gave me an opportunity to converse with some of my international representatives and talk about opportunities using Teledyne products in
“I enjoyed the full schedule, it provided me more than enough to do to really benefit traveling to this event.”
“I really enjoyed the Advanced Slocum Glider Training, as well as the keynote speakers, and checking out the latest and greatest technology/applications.”
”I had attended other seminars of RESON before they were part of Teledyne, and now have access to all brands together. To see and speak with Teledyne’s staff is the
most valuable to me, as well the opportunity of knowing the experiences of other users in all kinds of applications and challenges.”
In 2018, Teledyne Marine will host a number of smaller regional TMTW events, with the main event scheduled for 2019. Watch our website for details.